USER-FRIENDLY PIT LATRINES FOR OLDER PERSONS
The project is intended to re-design existing pit latrines and provide a blueprint for future pit latrines that are user-friendly and specifically target Older Person’s comfort and ease of use. It is estimated that there are nearly two million Older Persons in Uganda, a number that is rising steadily. A good number of these Older Persons face urinary and bowel incontinence and find it difficult to hold back the need to use a toilet or contain the pressure once the need to ease themselves. Neither do they want to embarrass themselves in soiling themselves in public or around an audience.100 Older Person’s households from Entebbe Sub-District will benefit from this project. The beneficiaries will be selected from Kigungu, Kiwafu, Lunyo, Katabi, Kitubulu, Kabale, Bunono, Lyamutundwe, Kitala, and Bugonga. Community Volunteers, Local Council Leaders and leaders of older persons groups will be engaged as key persons in identifying beneficiaries for the project.
- To ease the discomfort, pain and/or difficulty experienced by Older Persons when using pit latrines
- To reduce the anxiety and trepidation associated with the onset of the urge to use the latrine, and replace it with a sense of anticipated relief at using the facility thereby promoting good hygiene and environmental sanitation
- To promote proper use of the pit latrine through proper positioning and reduce the chances of messing up the facility in the hurry to get done quickly to avoid further discomfort
- To ensure that the facility can be easily cleaned and waste directed accordingly
- SPECIFIC PROJECT OBJECTIVES
- Re-design at least one section of existing pit latrines in a household where older persons live by fixing a ceramic pan on top of the hole where the older person will seat to ease her/himself with ease
- Construct fixtures on walls that one can hold onto to lift themselves up from a squatting position.
some of the toilets that have been re-design by HENU to make them user friendly to our seniors